A Descriptive Essay About My Life So Far

(May 30, 2006)

Life is full of unexpected surprises. There are many opportunities when one can secretly wish for something exciting to happen – something out of the ordinary. The real surprise is when the wish unexpectedly comes true. I never believed that something like this could ever happen to me; such a thing that would make me stop and look back at the events in awe. I think you would agree that something as simple as being lost in the forest for less than ten minutes should have no influence on my life. If you do agree, that makes both of us wrong.

Throughout my childhood, I loved the wild. My family and I would always go for a walk in the downtown forest of Coote’s Paradise. There were many times I thought of what could happen if we were to lose our way from the trail and have to live off of the land until we found our way back to civilization. I thought it would be the greatest experience ever.

As my brothers and I grew older, we continued to go for these walks with our parents but the dreams of living in the forest I soon forgot. That’s when it happened. We decided to take a different path off the main trail. Before I knew it, the path had disappeared and no one in my family could tell where we had come from. It was so unexpected. It gave me a feeling of excitement that can’t be described. Everything in the forest seemed different. The trees were a deeper shade of green. The birds chirped in a different tone. Vines covered almost every inch of the ground. One part of me never wanted this moment to end. I felt completely free from the stress of my life outside of the woods. It was this moment that I realized that I would much rather stay here for the rest of my life than go back to society.

I think that another reason that I felt carefree was because my parents didn’t panic. They took the situation under control and headed for any open area in hopes to find a map (many of these maps were found throughout the grounds, telling you where you were). From my point of view, at the time, it seemed as if they were excited as I was about losing our way. In the end, it only took my parents ten minutes to find such a map and we were back on the trail in no time.

An experience like this made me think about my place in life. I’m the type who loves seeking out adventures. When we were lost, I realized that I had everything I would ever need with me – my family. They’ve always supported me in everything I do. This experience made me realize that families need to stick together; you don’t realize how much you need them until, for a moment, you think they’ll be the last people you see for the rest of your life.

It’s incredible how much a simple thing like being lost in a forest for ten minutes will affect your outlook on life. Things like not being able to find your way back to where you came from make you appreciate the little things in life. Looking back on the day, I realize now that it was fate. Moments like that are few and far between and should be taken as a lesson. Surprises like this were, and always will be, an unexpected gift for all.

My Life So Far

By Will Arts

I was born on June 26, 1967 on the big island of Hawaii in the town of Hilo at Hilo hospital, the second child (older sister Naomi was born one year before) of Spanish, Filipino (-father), Italian, and Romanian (-mother) ancestry. After my brief stint in the hospital I went home to 375 Ululani St.

As an infant, I enjoyed the house, for I loved to travel about and explore. For the first two years of my life, my mother reared me carefully, exposing me to certain experiences that might have a positive influence on my intellect while my father was in a far away land fighting a war in a place called Vietnam as a U.S Army Ranger.

Sometime in 1970 my father returned, I remember standing on the asphalt at the Hilo airport watching a bunch of green clad army men unload from the back of a huge gray airplane, one of them with a thick black mustache trying to pick me up as I tried desperately to escape from him.

My memory seems to be only fragmented pieces for a while from then, a younger sister born (Athena), yelling, dishes breaking, moving, more yelling, and then the divorce.

My memory clears around the age of 4 as my father settled down back in his hometown of Papaiko just north of Hilo and enrolled me in a nursery school situated on the grounds of a Shinto temple.

The Japanese architecture looked foreboding as I prepared to meet the nightmarish Mrs. Nasty, a torturer of four-year-olds whom I assumed I would find as my teacher. Still, I enjoyed the days as a nursery toddler, grasping the skills of reading, writing, and speaking as I discovered how to interact. From Mrs. Fujimoto's communal hootenannies, comprising of "hop-scotch" and "London Bridge," to our daily excursion to the playground, I shaped the life skills that would ultimately determine my social direction in years to come.

Though I did not have a large group of friends, I found a group of loyal comrades with whom I could run, jump, skip, and ride the tricycles like miniature versions of the Hell’s Angels destroying any bug, slug, or snail that dared cross our path.

Shortly after while getting my usual ‘high and tight’ haircut at the old Filipino man’s barbers shop in downtown Hilo I was introduced to my future stepmother by my father.

She seemed liked a nice person, but my older sister disagreed and had a ‘Who the hell are you?’ look on her face, she questioned how the "interloper" would affect us. It was then

on that I would never second-guess my older sister’s intuitions.

From that moment on our lives changed forever.

Her name was Francis and had a “tribe” of her own, suddenly we had four older sisters and four older brothers, all many years older then us, and we found out quickly that they came first and we where last. And you thought Cinderella had problems.


With the advent of a much larger number of people joining membership to our family, my “parents'” decided that a much larger home was required.

On moving day I had strong fears – as most five-year-olds do – that the new area might teem with monsters and other frightful things. But reluctantly, I did accede to my parents' wishes.

I realized for the first time how chaotic life would become as Francis threw out most of our precious collection of toys that took a life time to acquire, with what she didn’t toss out was quickly confiscated by our new siblings, who fought over the good stuff like a pack of wild dogs.

From that point on it was nothing less then a struggle to keep anything for myself, from clothes to school supplies, this continued for many years until one day my older sister had enough and got my grandmother on my mother’s side to get her a ticket to Texas where my mother resided. I soon followed; it was a move I never regretted.

After becoming situated in the new domicile, I began to notice things I never noticed before while in Hawaii, like the weather, language, and nature. Actually I had to notice if not you’d get hurt by lightning and hail, get stung by fire ants, or even a snakebite. I also learned the worst thing of all, prejudice.

By now I’m in intermediate school but they call it jr. high school there, Southside jr. high in San Antonio Texas. This school consisted of two things, Mexicans and Whites, and

they did not get along. Now imagine looking Mexican with a Spanish last name, not speaking Spanish and having a white family.

No one knew what to make of me so they pretty much let me be, if any one had something to say I simply ignored them and that the end of it, no one really bothered me. Maybe because everyone new that my Stepfather was Texas Ranger Philip Baker. He was a good man that taught me many things about life.

Once again though I did not have a large group of friends, I found a group of loyal comrades with whom I could run, hunt, skate, and ride dirt bikes like miniature versions of the Hell’s Angels destroying any snake, lizard, or vermin that dared cross our path.

My senior year came around quickly and I decided to return to Hawaii and get my diploma from Waiakea High School and bade farewell to the land of Texas.

Upon my return to the islands I saw many changes had happened since left, my rival siblings had all moved out, and everyone treated me quite better then before.

It seemed a bit too strange so I quickly joined the army after graduation when I couldn’t find a decent job, my father thought I made a “fine choice” but seemed disappointed that I was going to be a medical specialist instead of infantry.

October 15, 1985 was the day I headed out to basic training in Alabama.


Completing army basic training is one of the most self rewarding things anyone can do,

It totally changes your whole perspective of life a teaches you that if you really want something and are willing to try really hard you will succeed. I think if everyone did it

This world would be a much better place.

Well anyway, after completing basic training I went on to AIT (advanced individual training) in Ft. Sam Houston, San Antonio Texas (my second home!), after spending 10 weeks training as a medical specialist I was sent to Ft. Brag N.C for airborne training,

After getting my wings I was assigned to Headquarters 3/35 Armor Co. Medical Plt. In Bamberg Germany where I served as a combat paramedic.

Once again though I did not have a large group of friends, I found a group of loyal comrades with whom I could parachute, air-assault, and drive our armored personnel carriers like military versions of the Hell’s Angels destroying any Warsaw Pact Enemy that dared cross our path.

In 1989 I decided not to re-enlist, I returned to Hawaii and settled here in Honolulu as a warehouse worker for The Island Food Merchant. I worked there for more than ten years and really liked my work; I was such a good worker I ended up going out with my boss’s daughter with his approval, she is now my fiancee.

Sadly not all good things last forever and I learned this the hard way.

One day the owner of the company called everyone in for a meeting and explained that due to unavoidable circumstances the company would be closing, it was hard to believe and was the harsh reality that made me consider going back to school and continue my medical career so I wouldn’t have to go through that again.

And that’s my life so far.



Word Count: 1328


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *