These discourse markers are used to introduce the two sides of an argument.
Study the following sentences.
- On the one hand, I would like to earn more money, but on the other hand, I am not willing to work the extra hours.
- On the one hand, he wants to attain salvation, but on the other hand he is unwilling to give up the little pleasures of life.
- On the one hand, there are valid reasons to regulate the internet. On the other hand, regulating the internet by introducing stricter policies might impair its functionality.
- On the one hand, he complains about his loneliness. On the other hand, he shows little interest in socializing.
On the one hand is not usually used alone. It is almost always followed by on the other hand. On the other hand can be used alone.
- Arranged marriages are very common in many Asian countries. On the other hand, in the West they are quite unusual.
Note that discourse markers like on the one hand and on the other hand are not grammatically connected to the sentence. They can be removed and the sentences will still be grammatically correct. Of course, some meaning would be lost, but there would be no ungrammaticality.
- Linking words: on the contrary; on the other hand
- IELTS writing tips: sentence connectors
Other ways to say ‘on the other hand’ are listed below, I have included example sentences to show how they would be used in context, in no particular order:
On the other hand
- Green apples are quite sour. These red ones, on the other hand, are incredibly sweet!
- Green apples are quite sour. These red ones, however, are incredibly sweet!
- This particular first aid training course is very lengthy and expensive, but it is, nonetheless, very important.
- I am not a very good football player, nevertheless, football is my passion.
- He went to play football anyway, doctor’s orders notwithstanding.
- Despite being told to rest by the doctor, he went to play football.
In spite of
- In spite of his illness, he continued his vigorous training programme.
Having said that
- I am not a great football player, having said that, I am very passionate about it.
That being said
- I am not a great football player, that being said, I am very passionate about it.
- I am not a great football player, that said, I am very passionate about it.
That having been said
- I am not a great football player, that having been said, I am very passionate about it.
- Albeit his illness, he continued his vigorous training programme.
- Although this apartment is very small, it is extremely expensive.
All the same
- The meal wasn’t very tasty, but they finished everything on their plates all the same.
At any rate
- I don’t think you should play football today, at any rate, the doctor told you to rest.
In any case
- I don’t think you should play football today, in any case, you have been told by the doctor to rest.
- He went to football practice anyway, regardless of what the doctor said.
On the contrary
- He wasn’t as good a football player as his team mates, on the contrary, he was more passionate and driven than any of them.
- Small apartments in this area are very expensive, alternatively, you could settle for a bigger, cheaper apartment in a not so popular part of town.
- The accommodation here is cheaper, whereas, this part of town is very quiet, and there isn’t much to do.
- The apartments in the centre of town are smaller, and more expensive than where we currently live, then again, it is definitely much more livelier, and better for a social life over there.
On the flip side
- We could live in this quiet area for a long time, as we’d pay less rent, and have a bigger apartment, on the flip side, if we moved to the centre of town, we’d have much more to do there, but we’d have to live in a smaller, more expensive apartment, and have less spending money.
- He was a very passionate football player, but he just wasn’t very good at it.
- In contrast to the rest of his team, he wasn’t a very good football player.
- You should do as the doctor told you to, otherwise your illness may deteriorate.