“IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills” written by Richard Brown (Author), Lewis Richards (Author) is a fully comprehensive resource designed for IELTS learners who want to achieve a grade of 7.0 or higher in the Writing section of the Academic IELTS test.
Students are guided step-by-step through the different tasks in the writing module, using material developed in the classroom, by authors with many years’ experience in helping hundreds of IELTS candidates achieve a high IELTS score. “IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills”: shows students how to organise and structure an answer for all types of task 1 and 2 questions; contains a model essay in each unit, showing students exactly what is required; contains a general interest article in each unit, developing ideas and vocabulary for a common topic in the exam; quickly develops students’ fluency and confidence in producing pieces of writing through a focus on academic vocabulary and collocations; and, contains grammar exercises in each unit, showing students how to apply a wide range of grammar items in their IELTS writing.
About the book
IELTS examiners are looking for four different things, and the book is designed to help you
in each of these areas:
• Grammar: Accurate grammar and a rich variety of complex structures (for example conditionals, relative clauses, noun phrases).
• Vocabulary: A good command of academic vocabulary (including academic words, collocations,etc).
• Organization: Clear, easy-to-follow & well-organized paragraphs.
• Ideas and arguments: Well-developed ideas which can answer the question fully and express a clear viewpoint.
1. Organization of the book: This book includes 9 units in which Units 1-6 focus on academic essays in IELTS Writing Task 2 and Units 7 – 9 cover IELTS Writing Task 1 (Lines, Graph, Table, Diagram, etc).
• Units 1 – 4 cover advantages and disadvantages essays.
• Units 2 and 5 look at problem and solution essays.
• Units 3 and 6 involve in opinion essays.
• Unit 7 shows you how to write about graphs with a trend (changes over time).
• Unit 8 looks at how to describe graphs and charts where you have to compare data.
• Unit 9 describes how to write about processes and maps.
Each unit is built around two texts: an introductory text, which includes useful grammar, ideas and vocabulary, and a model essay, which guides you as you write. The units build on each other, so when you study opinion essays, for example, we advise you to study Unit 3 first, and then Unit 6.
2. Interesting texts: The book contains a range of texts in different styles such as articles, latest news, etc so that you can feel enjoyable when learn it.
3.IELTS grammar exercises: Each unit has grammar exercises with an aim to helping you
practice grammar rules to your writing. The grammar items are selected thoroughly to be the most useful and relevant to the IELTS Writing test.
4. This book provides you with Academic vocabulary for writing which is
distinctly different from general English in daily conservation and exercises so that you can apply in the IELTS Writing test.
5. One of the most key factors to get a 7.0 or higher in the IELTS writing is to know how to utilize Collocations (words which commonly go together) to help you quickly improve your written academic vocabulary.
6. Model essays/answers: For each topic and unit in this book, you can find Band 8.0+ model answers which acts as a guidance about how to write your essays.
7. Exam skills & tips: Each unit includes exercises and tips such as how to write an introduction, conclusion or good paragraph to help you develop your IELTS writing skills for the IELTS exam.
8. Check and challenge: At the end of each unit, you have the chance to revise the
language you have studied, and to extend your language with extra challenges.
The IELTS scoring system
IELTS score ranges from Band 1 to Band 9. If somebody score a 9.0, they are at native- speaker level, but in fact many native speakers fail to achieve a 9.0, so be realistic!
How to get it?
You can downloadIelts Advantage: Writing Skillson IELTS Material website or buy it on Amazon website. It’s definitely worth your money.
FREE DOWNLOAD – IELTS Advantage: Writing skills (PDF) Get it on Amazon
We are sure that you will enjoy Ielts Advantage: Writing Skills and wish you all the best with your IELTS studies.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.Get all the latest updates/lessons via email:
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Did not See What You Were Looking For? - Try Search!
IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills (Ebook)5 (100%) 4 votes
You will be allowed 1 hour to complete two tasks in the IELTS Academic Writing test.
The two parts of this practice Writing test are presented on two separate web pages. Make sure you move swiftly from one page to the next so that your practice is as realistic as possible. If you prefer to work offline, download the test paper.
In the actual test you will do your writing in an answer booklet.
The total time allowed for the IELTS Academic Writing test is 60 minutes.
Time yourself and allow just one hour to complete both parts of the test.
Task 2 contributes twice as much as task 1 to the Writing score.
Writing task 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on task 1
- write in a formal style
- write at least 150 words
Writing task 2
You should spend about 40 minutes on task 2
- write in a formal style
- write at least 250 words
Instructions to candidates
In the actual test you will be given the following instructions:
- do not open this question paper until you are told to do so
- write your name and candidate number in the spaces at the top of this page
- read the instructions for each task carefully
- answer both of the tasks
- write at least 150 words for task 1
- write at least 250 words for task 2
- write your answers in the answer booklet
- write clearly in pen or pencil; you may make alterations, but make sure your work is easy to read
At the end of the test, hand in both the question paper and your answer booklet.
Once you have completed both tasks, review your work. Download the model answers to see good examples of how to complete the Writing test.